Wednesday, November 12, 2014

What's Next for Sharkbait

I have had a lot of time to think about future "bucket list" items I want to accomplish. My next BIG adventure, although not quite as crazy as an AT thru hike, will be to hike the El Camino in France, Spain, and Portugal (I think those are the countries it goes through). It is 500 miles long I believe and is a pilgrimmage sort of hike. There are different paths to take but I think the French way is the one I would do. I haven't done much research at this point I have just met a lot of people on the trail that have done it and it is right up my alley. I am not going to push it like I did on the AT and I will not do it solo. I will find a friend to hike with before I go. What I like about the Camino is you can essentially carry just a day pack with a sleeping bag, a few bottles of water, and that day's worth of food. Thats it. You hostel hop, I think they are called barista's over there, and get stamps for each place you go in a passport thingy for the trail. Being able to eat fine cheeses and fresh bread every day sounds really good after coming off an AT thru hike where i have eaten junk for the whole trip and I have to carry day's worth at a time. The Camino is not "woodsy" like the AT it is mostly road walks from what I understand and you go through a ton of small villages every day where you can see first hand the local culture over there in a different way than the normal "touristy" way. That sounds like a cool adventure to me. Other things I want to do is go out west and hike some out there. I don't have a desire to do a thru hike of the PCT or CDT at this time but there are some areas I would section hike for sure. I also want to complete the Bartram Trail in GA/NC. I hit a portion of that back in June on a shakedown and that is one gorgeous trail. I will be back to the AT for section hikes but not in the push it fashion I did on this thru hike. It will be way more kicked back and I will actually camp rather than eat/sleep/hike.

1 comment:

  1. Good job man! GLad to see you survived and thrived!
    Josh Snipes

    ReplyDelete