Don't forget to look at photo's from the day at https://plus.google.com/111376157723691672982/photos
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Day 3: 100 mile wilderness Part 2
So last night I was camped at Rainbow Lake. Around 11pm I woke up and heard rustling in the leaves. It took me a second to realize that there were two animals circling my tent on opposite sides. The way they were running sounded like dogs but I don't think there are dogs out here. I think they were coyote's but I have never heard coyote's running before... so maybe wolves if they are in Maine... who knows? After 15 minutes of circling me they took off. But today was a great day of hiking. Very tough because it was all rocks, roots, and mud but that is Maine. There wasn't a lot of climbing just mostly level ground that was tough. I did a total of 22.0 miles today and ended up at Potaywadjo Spring Lean-to. I set up my tent and went to filter water and my battery for the steripen (UV water treatment thing) died. I used it before I came out on the trail a couple times but it only lasted half as long as it should have. Fortunately I was able to borrow a water filter from another hiker at the shelter. I filtered 4 liters which I hope will get me through tomorrow. After that runs out though I will have to either boil water or get lucky and meet another hiker that I can borrow a water filter from. Due to this dilemma I am going to step up the miles and try to get through the 100 mile wilderness faster than planned. I can boil water but I don't know if I will have enough fuel to boil 4-7 liters a day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment