Monday, July 21, 2014

Trail Name

In the hiking community it is commonplace for hikers to be called by a "trail name" rather than your real name.  I was given the name Sharkbait last year and it stuck.  So I imagine you are wondering how I got that name.  The story begins in the pristine waters of the Florida keys on a hot summer day.  I was scuba diving and on the way back to the boat when I noticed a 6 ft nurse shark swimming parallel to me only 5 feet away!  So I got the bright idea to swim over to the dadgum shark and wrap my arm behind its pectoral fins.  That was idiot move number 1.  So i was swimming with the shark in my arm for about 15 seconds when idiot move number 2 popped in my head.  I wondered what would happen if I tickled the tendrils under its snout.  Guess what else is under a sharks snout?  Yep, you got it right, its mouth full of little teeth!  I reached that left hand of mine over and started tickling those tendrils.  About half a second later my hand was in that things mouth.  I was in shock... and my fingers were being crushed as if a mack truck were parked on top of it.  After about 10 seconds the sbark let go and swam on its way.  My fingers were pretty bloody but they were still all there thank God.  I have also been bit a second time but that story i wont talk about in this journal.  Yes, it was my fault also.

No comments:

Post a Comment