Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Day 6: 100 Mile Wilderness Part 5

Last night a wicked storm moved in and it poured all night long.  There was some sort of tower about 1 mile away at the top of a mountain and it got struck by lighting like a million times.  I am really surprised those french-canadian girls didn't go hide in the shelter... that storm was bad.  I thanked the section hiker again for the iodine and for letting me use her lighter and took off.  This morning the clouds started to clear and the sun came out for the first time in 2 days as well as a slight breeze so it was awesome hiking weather.  There were 5 fords today which weren't as bad as I thought they would be with how much rain we had.  But 2 of them were waist deep and pushing fast which was really sketchy but I made it.  I heard about a hiker that slipped on the slate (which is everywhere) this morning and had to go to the hospital in Greenville.  Thats why I take it slow when everything is wet like it is but thank God it wasn't me.  It only takes one time to fall to ruin your entire hike and could happen to anybody no matter how careful you are.  It was only 15 miles to Monson and I made it there around 2pm and called the Lakeshore House (hostel) for a pickup at the trailhead.  I am looking forward to spending the next day and a half in town resting my legs.  I didn't want to push the huge miles and every other SOBO (southbound) thru hiker has been amazed at the huge miles I did right off the bat in the rain especially since I am from Florida.  Most SOBO's are taking 7+ days to do what I did in 4.5 days.  I'm having a great time here on the trail and look forward to moving onward.  Thank you everybody for your prayers I am sure they helped a lot.

Don't forget to check out the pictures at https://plus.google.com/111376157723691672982/photos

With the photo's I am sure you read my previous post about why they are on my google plus account rather than here in the blog.  If you want to know what you are looking at click on the comment link to each photo.  I have made a comment to just about every photo posted so that you can know what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment