Let me start by saying i forgot to mention two things yesterday. The first was when I was at the sterling inn for resupply the owner let me eat from the continental breakfast for free and charge my phone which was really nice of him. The second was during a 0.2 mile road walk on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere a couple in their truck just happened to drive by and gave me two slices of chocolate sheet cake! I love trail magic.
But for today it was a very grueling 13.5 miles through the Bigelow mtns. Future thru hikers reading this take note: this section is extremely difficult. My plans were to do 23 miles but look how far i actually went... Also take note the springs in this section are not reliable as all were dried up right now. So i went 10 miles on only 2 liters water. By the time i finished the 10 to a shelter where there was water i was on the edge of dehydration. I also probably sweated out more than 2 liters during that time too. The bigelow's are absolutely breathtaking but are 100 percent rocks with very steep climbs/descents. I am camped 2 miles outside of Stratton, maine and will hitch into town for resupply bright and early. I will then be in Rangely, maine in 2-3 days. My official mileage completed as of the end of August 3, 2014 is 186.4 miles. It is about 100 miles to New Hampshire and I will probably be there in 6-8 days. My legs are really feeling the miles now and are very soar at the end of the day. All these rocks really twist the ankles and put a pounding on my knees. I want to avoid taking ibuprofen as long as possible but that thought may not last much longer. My shoes are starting to fall apart. On my left foot my pinky toe sticks through a hole and the big toe is almost there. The terrain here is killer on shoes. It doesn't help either that my shoes are always wet from the rain or mud. I am not trying to complain i just like to be honest so you know what its like out here on the trail. Well, its past my bedtime so thanks for tuning in. Dont forget to check out the pictures and in case you didnt know i leave a comment on each photo which explains what you are looking at. If it doesn't pop up with each photo look for a button with some sort of think box symbol probably.
YOU are amazing! LL
ReplyDeletelove the picture of the mountains in the morning with the clouds low, beautiful!
ReplyDelete