Monday, August 4, 2014

Day 12: Neroing in Stratton, Maine

One thing I learned when working at the hospital in Lakeland is to expect the unexpected.  The same concept i apply to everything in life and it is definitely true out here on the trail.  What was supposed to be a partly cloudy possible rain chance day turned into a big pile of manure.   So this morning I woke up at 5am like usual and i could hear rain starting to fall on my tent.  Ok, i will just sleep in and wait it out i figured.  At 6:20 am the rain stopped but i could hear thunder.  I actually had data and cell reception where i was camped so i pulled up the radar... awww man i didn't like what i saw.  Most of western Maine and New Hampshire was covered in red/yellow cell rain and it would hit me any minute.  I literally threw everything in my pack and jogged down the trail the 2 miles to ME 27.  I could have raced Karl Meltzer I was going so fast.  Halfway to the road the rain hit and lighting was getting closer.  I finally made it to the road and stuck my thumb out for 15 mins before somebody finally stopped to pick up this wet, stinky hiker... thats me by the way.  Thats the first time i have ever hitchhiked but it wont be the last.  Fortunately the people here in Maine are all extraordinarily nice (unlike many Floridians) so i had no fear of hitching into town.  I checked into the Stratton motel/hostel for 25 bucks for a bunk.  I ate a huge breakfast at the diner in town.  I took a shower and rinsed my stinky hiking clothes in the shower also because i dont want to pay a bunch of money for the laundromat.  They will all be dirty, sweaty, and stinky again after a few hours hiking so whats the point in paying to wash them.  It rained hard until noon and will storm again later.  I will head out tomorrow morning lord willing but it is supposed to storm again tomorrow afternoon so it wont be a long day.  I will be going back up to over 4000 ft elevation right off the bat and stay high for days so i will have to be very cautious especially now that everything is wet again.  I have a lot of respect for lighting and with these bad storms, treacherous terrain, and high mtns i dont want to die so i gotta be smart and not get in a hurry.  Thanks to everyone for your prayers and comments they are very much appreciated.  Oh yeah, i almost forgot to mention the definition of a nero day is near zero miles hiked.  I think i did a little over 2 today.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. You are property working harder in Maine then at Your last job:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papa would have to take salt tablets when outside very long and sweating. Sorry
    I didn't think to suggest that sooner. Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job T! Take care of those feet even if you miss a day or two. If they get out of control, they can take you down. It is still hotter than a pistol down south so take your time and enjoy the onset of Autumn in the N.E. This is a once in a lifetime accomplishment for most people so "enjoy the ride", ummmm WALK! :)

    ReplyDelete