Sunday, August 17, 2014

Day 23: The White's Part 3

Last night was freezing cold at 5100ft elevation sleeping in a stone dungeon but I was snug as a bug in a rug.  Nobody snored or even got up to take a leak and with full bellies we were all nice and toasty in our sleeping bags.  Hydro and I hiked together today again.  We did 19-20 miles today over the second half of the Presidential portion of the White's and all the mtns after that.  At 8:30am we got to Mizpah hut (perfect timing) and I saw a huge plate of blueberry pancakes and oatmeal sitting around.  I asked the cook if we could do dishes in exchange for  the leftovers and I guaranteed she would not have to haul any food down the mountain leftover from breakfast.  Of course she said yes and we did 10 minutes of dishes.  There must of been 40 pancakes and we were full with 5 left so I put them in a ziploc bag for lunch.  Not a bad way to start off the morning.  It was a great day to hike and when we got to Zealand falls hut to ask about work for stay we were denied.  Its ok though the cook said we could do work for dinner leftovers and he told us where a good spot to stealth camp was.  It ended up being there were 3 elderly injured NOBO thru hikers that he knew were heading to his hut and he was saving the work for stays for them which i totally understand.  Praise the Lord again because the paying guests left a lot of leftovers.  Tonight was ginger chicken, salad, coffee, chocolate cake, green beans, bread, mac and cheese, and rice.  This is the second night in a row I am going to bed with a completely full belly... i could get used to this.  After dinner Hydro and I got assigned dishes then we moved on to our stealth camp sites.  Another cold night ahead but my 20 degree down bag is plenty warm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment