Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Day 27: First Day Out of the White's

Today was an incredible day. I payed 7 bucks for an AYCE breakfast of pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs at the hostel.  After that I sat around slowly getting ready to leave and finally left at 10am.  I patched my trekking pole using a section of a broken aluminum pole sitting at the hostel  that I cut using a hacksaw.  I then ducktaped the scab over the broken pieces of my pole.  It held for the 20.1 miles I hiked today so thats good.  My right ankle swelled up some after twisting it twice yesterday and I found two ace bandages in the hiker box at the hostel so I wrapped both my ankles today.  Wow did that help and I will continue to wrap them while they heal.  It is incredible how God provides right in my time of need. I packed out a 12" sub and coca cola for lunch today and boy did that hit the spot.  The terrain is so incredibly easy now that I am out of Maine and the White's which are the two hardest parts of the trail.  There are still mountains obviously but they are so easy to climb.  I feel like the trail up to this point required a lot of brute strength to hike and now it will be more of an endurance thing.  It is a lot of dirt, leaves, and pine needles which is so nice.  I could have easily done more miles today but with the ankles healing and the incredible view from a tentsite on the top of Smart mtn I decided to quit hiking at 6:30pm.  The weather was spectacular today and is supposed to stay that way for a long time.  From what I hear the trail from the White's and north through Maine has been bad weather all summer like I experienced.  But the weather to the south of the White's has been really nice all summer.  I cannot emphasize how nice it was to hike today with dry socks and shoes.  I am not sure if I will take as many pictures as much.  I have entered the "green tunnel" and there wont be as much if any alpine style environments like I have had up to this point so not much worth taking pictures of.

3 comments:

  1. Praise God that he does provide! Keep up the good work and keep fattening up for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw a film on the at and people hiking it. I really know what you are going through . Those people started in the so.
    and said when they got to Maine how hard it was compared to the rest. God does provide. Glad you got the bandages.
    Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sharkbait! Just did a marathon read of your entire journey,so far. What a story! I think I've got it set up now to where I can follow your posts and I am really enjoying them. Too bad you couldn't have saved those shoes as a very realistic memento of this tip, huh? Tough to write mssg on this site, it keeps freezing up so I will sign off. Prayers your way everyday buddy!

    ReplyDelete