Friday, August 8, 2014

Day 14: A Wet and Muddy Day

Last night it dumped rain.  It was a horrible storm but the tent did great.  My total mileage for the day was 20.1 miles.  The first 9 miles would normally be absolutely gorgeous views on the saddleback mtn range but I was hiking in a cloud or in the rain so I couldn't see anything.  On the way down Saddleback the weather cleared up a little and I met a group of day hikers that talked to me for a few minutes.  They even gave me an apple.  Wooohooo trail magic number 3!!!!  After that the terrain leveled out more and it was a mud slog for 11 miles.  I have more mud on me than any other day on the trail so far.  I ended today at Sabbath day pond lean-to.  The guidebook says good swimming but I dont think so.  There was a girl washing the mud off her legs while I was gathering water and she got a bunch of leaches on her.  There is a SOBO thru hiker here around my age that started 22 days ago.  Its not a race and everybody has to hike their own hike but thats crazy he has been out here that long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment