Thursday, September 4, 2014

Day 42: New York

Let me begin by recapping Southern Massachusetts and Connecticut.  They are buggy and have overall easy terrain but with some very steep mountain climbs.  Massachusetts has been my favorite state thus far which will sound crazy in comparison to how gorgeous Maine and New Hampshire are but I really liked Massachusetts.  Now here in New York it is still buggy and hot.  It has been 85-90 degrees during the day for the past 5 days i think.  Water here in NY is rare.  A lot the normal water sources are dry.  Thank God for the 2 times there was trail magic today at road crossings in the form of gallon jugs of water.  Ohh yeah and the few water sources there are all seem to be polluted.  A lot have signs next to them listing the bacteria in the water and others you can just look at it.  I treat all the water i drink anyways but hopefully i dont get sick.  Finding good water is gonna be really tough for a while it looks like.  On another note there are deer everywhere in NY which is cool to look at but must stink for NY drivers.  Ohhh how I hope I finish the trail in time for deer season.  Tonight I am staying at a shelter called the Ralph's Peak Hiker Cabin.  I believe it is privately owned as it sits on a private residential lot all by itself.  It is free to stay at and has tons of tenting grounds and 6 wood bunks inside with a desk also.  In back is a picnic table with a bunch of patio chairs.  There is a well with a hand pump and guess what... its contaminated also.  I am the only person here tonight.  The coolest thing about the shelter though is you can order pizza!  So i ate a large cheese pizza, some garlic knots, and had a pepsi.  I am going to sleep good tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment