The Doyle was built in 1905 by Adolphus Busch aka the man who started Anheuser-Busch. It essentially hasn't changed much since he built it. The current shape its in is pathetic but its heyday has come and gone. Duncannon, PA just doesn't get the visitors like it used to I imagine. Besides the restaurant patrons nobody but hikers come to The Doyle any more. Looking around though I get a feeling like this was a really Ritzy place at one point. For 25 bucks i am happy i got a shower, easy access to a post office and restaurant as well as the salon, a private corner room that has two windows, I got to resupply on food at the grocery store, and I got a bed with two pillows. The beds not the most comfy but its better than my sleeping pad. I did check for bed bugs and didn't see any. Overall I can see why there is no sense in restoring this place due to how it doesn't make money like it used to. Its sad to see this historic 109 year old hotel fall to pieces but that's life I guess. Ohhh yeah you can tell this hotel existed in another day and age because it reeks like cigarette smoke in the halls and giant staircase even though there has been a no smoking policy for many years. My room doesn't stink though so that's what is important to me. I posted some pics of the place to my photo account so be sure to check them out. Also, check out the photos of the still in use old school fire station and vintage Mack fire truck. The truck was gorgeous and is still in use to this day even though they have a newer ladder truck also.
No comments:
Post a Comment