Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day 52: Rocks, Rain, and Miles

So i checked the weather forecast last night and wow i did not realize it was going to get as cold as quickly as they are predicting.  Today was forecasted to be all rain with temps never going above 61 with a cold front and after that every night in the mid to low 40s.  Yeah i dont think i can handle that with my current sleep system and my mummy bag is in the post office120 miles away in Duncannon, PA.  So i got this crazy idea that maybe i can do 120 miles in 4 days to limit the amount of nights i potentially have to sleep cold.  This morning i hit the trail at 4:15am in hopes to make it the 16 miles to the bottom of Lehigh gap before it rained.  Lehigh gap for SOBO's is a 1000 ft near vertical downhill boulder scramble and smooth granite slab.  It is renown as one of the toughest ascents/descents on the trail.  The trail between the shelter and the gap was easy as it crosses a superfund site.  From 1898 to 1980 there was a zinc smelting plant that let out toxic emissions i guess and it destroyed all vegetation on the mountain and polluted the ground. Well 2 miles before i got to the descent of Lehigh Gap it started raining.  I would not recommend to anybody ever to attempt that descent when wet... ever.  I made it down safely though and crossed the river to the other side of the gap.  It stopped raining just long enough to snap a picture of the mountain i descended.  If you want to see pics of the trail there look it up on Google because i didn't take any pics while it rained.  After that it continued to rain until 5:00pm.  I didn't get to my destination of Eckville shelter until 8:15pm.  That is 16 hours of hiking and I completed a total of 40.9 miles.  I wont lie it hurt to go over that many miles with how many rocks are on the trail and how wet/slippery it was today.  I believe i am out of the worst of the rocks though so thats good.  The reason i did 40 miles was this shelter is privately owned and is behind a guys house.  It has running water, is free to hikers, and more importantly is fully enclosed so I won't be in the wind since a cold front did just go through.  I will continue to push on to Duncannon because i really miss my down mummy bag.  I just want to curl up in it and not have to be concerned about being cold.  Tomorrow wont be as big of miles.  I have to go into Hamburg to resupply and i am going to try and find a sunny place to dry all my socks and shoes since they are soaked. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Fall is setting in. Better buy
    another pair of socks at the supply store. It makes you cold all over when
    your feet get so cold. Good picture.
    Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding Vicki, she sent you a comment on Day 44/46 or Sept. 7th Day. I have also sent her your e-mail address. Her cell
    phone is 352-409-1751, I will call her and give her yours also.
    Granny

    ReplyDelete