Today was my first day of hiking in the very rocky portion of Pennsylvania otherwise known as Rocksylvania. To be honest it wasnt that bad. Nothing near as bad as Maine was. Yes, the rocks do twist your ankles and pound your feet as well as slow me down but i am used to that by now. I didnt take any pics of the rocks today just one of a very beautiful piece of flat trail that had no rocks. The nice thing is other than a steep ascent/descent into the occasional gap every 15-20 miles Pennsylvania is as flat as it gets. I never broke a sweat today its that flat. Pennsylvania is a long flat ridge walk essentially but there are trees on both sides so there aren't a ton of views. Its not exposed basically. 16 miles into the day i came to Wind Gap where i had mail magic from my cousins Travis and Kristin. Thanks y'all!!! The beef jerky was the best part it is a delicacy out here because its so expensive. After that i went to the dollar tree to resupply for the rest of my 3 day stretch. I also stopped by Burger king for a late lunch. I didn't feel like hitching in or out of town today so it was a 4 mile round trip road walk. After town and a short climb it was another easy and rocky 4 miles to the shelter. Add another 1 mile roundtrip to get water and that makes 5 miles that dont count toward my overall total. I only did 20 miles that count today. Big news though is i passed the 900 mile mark!
I have been asked to photograph and explain what i eat on a daily basis so i will start with dinner but continue over the next few days to explain different meals. For dinner i do 1 package of ramen noodles and something sweet like pop tarts, cookies, or a honey bun. Healthy right? I cook the noodles with my ultralight .9 L titanium pot, a snowpeak litemax titanium stove, and it is hooked up to a 4oz can of isobutane canister fuel. I light it with a lighter. It varies how long i can go on one can of fuel. It depends on the water temperature, ambient temperature, wind, and how much i use it (once or twice a day depending if i have oatmeal). I have gotten up to about 2 weeks on one can. I think typical though is 18 uses... i think... shoot im justguessing. I guess i will start keeping track. The system works great for me and i have had no issues other than my lighters breaking back in the hundred mile wilderness when i started.
Look at day 44/46 for the comment from me and also vicki. I will also give her your e-mail address. Granny
ReplyDeleteSo glad you liked your box! That was our goal to brighten your day. Since I am a NJ native, it was fitting you were crossing through NJ at the time. EB and the HOT band are having a tough week, lost 2 students and it is hitting them hard. USF football has one win and 2 loses so far. Go Bulls! Lisa L
ReplyDelete