Thursday, September 4, 2014

Day 43: Dreaming of Water... (9/4/14)

Still hardly a drop off water in NY.  I slept in this morning seeing as how I only have 20 miles planned.  I am able to hike 3-3.5mph easily when in good health so I was in no rush to get up.  I dont think I hit the trail until 9am judging by the suns position in the sky.  I cannot remember whether i mentioned this or not previously but back in Manchester Center, VT i sent my tarp tent and 20 degree down sleeping bag home.  I purchased a 50" x 60" fleece blanket from Walmart and a silk sleeping bag liner from EMS.  Overall it saved me about 4 lbs and a lot of room in my backpack.  It has been so warm at night doing this minimalist thing is really paying off.  On cool and windy nights i still sleep in every piece of clothing i own though to stay warm... including my rain jacket.  I am hoping I can get by without my sleeping bag for another 3 weeks.  I enjoy sleeping in shelters so I am not planning on getting my tent back.  This limits me though as to how many miles I can do based on shelter separation mileage.  There are no NOBO thru hikers any more so I have no competition for shelter space.  To be honest there aren't many people at all any more now that school is in session and labor day is gone.  I think today I passed by a total of 6 day hikers thats it.  It is gonna get very lonely very quickly.  I haven't seen another SOBO in over 3 days.  Today I only did 20 miles.  I am staying at the Greymoor Spiritual Life Center ballpark picnic shelter.  It is owned by the St. Francis of Assisi Friars i believe and they let hikers sleep in the picnic shelter for free.  There is an outdoor cold water shower (all i did was wash off my head because i dont have a towel and its was cooling down for the night so i didn't  want to get cold), porta podies, an outdoor sink, and water spigot.  The best part though which I was not expecting is there is a power outlet!!!  I was almost out of battery power i have gone so long without being able to fully charge up.  I have been super conservative with my phone and kept it off most of the time.  I was actually going to get a motel room here in the next couple days because i was at the point i had no juice left.  So now I should be able to make it to Deleware Water Gap, Pennsylvania before i stay anywhere.  There is an actual hostel there which will be the first since Vermont.  The "see how long Sharkbait can go without a real shower or laundry marathon" continues!  I reek by the way.  I think when i get there it will have been 2 weeks without shower or laundry.  I have been and will continue to be taking it easy on miles due to the shelter hopping situation and mail magic i have coming.  The post offices have very limited hours they are open so i have to time it perfect when i get there.  Tomorrow morning i get one in Fort Montgomery, NY and on Monday morning I get one in Unionville, NY.  After that i dont have any scheduled for a few towns so I will be able to crank up the miles again hopefully.  I make it sound like mail magic is hindering me but its not i really appreciate those of you that are sending me food or are expressing interest in doing so in the future.  One last thing, I appreciate any prayers for my blisters on the side of my feet .  They are starting to heal i think and i have actually been able to walk the past 2 days without being in misery from the pain for the most part.  I will continue to treat them until they are gone and hopefully that will be soon.

1 comment:

  1. Good for the Friars. They are the ones that taught me in High School. Prayers help so glad the blisters are getting better Granny

    ReplyDelete