I have finished the Shenandoahs and am in Waynesboro, VA as I am writing this at the end of day 69. In the Shenandoah's cell service was virtually nonexistent so I wasn't able to keep updating this blog. I wasnt even able to get a call to go through on my sisters birthday to talk to her. The Shenandoah's are gorgeous though and it was really an enjoyable spot. I am adding this to my list of "come back in future list." When i do come back I am going to drive skyline drive which is 105 miles long and goes through the park. I will also plan on actually camping in the nice campgrounds they have rather than being a hiker like i am doing now. I only saw 2 bears and neither let me get close enough to take a picture. I did get about 20ft from both a 7pt and 8pt buck which was cool. On day 66 i did 28 miles, day 67 i did 23, day 68 i did 21, and on day 69 i did 21. The leaves have started to change to the point its becoming noticeable. Here in Waynesboro i am going to sleep at the YMCA hiker campground area. It's free and has a little pavilion. The YMCA also offers thru hikers a free hot shower with soap, shampoo, and towel so I took advantage of that. After that I walked down to the laundromat to do laundry which is where i am at right now. After this i am going to go to Mings Buffet which is a famous Chinese buffet among thru hikers. NOBO's have been telling me about Mings and how good it is since Maine so if it has that good of a reputation it must be good. One issue that i am facing and will continue to face is hostels are closing for the season. 90 percent of thru hikers are NOBO's and there are so few of us SOBO's that hostels close after the northbounders are done. The next hostel that is open still is 160 miles from here so that will be my next stop.
Trevor, do you want your tent back with all the closed hostels?
ReplyDeleteDad
What do you need a hostel for, your saving money. Buy a bar of soap and use a hose! Then stealth camp!
ReplyDelete