Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Thru Hiker Diet

Ok, I know i said weeks ago I would do this post.  I am still changing my diet all the time so what do i write about?  I guess i will provide examples of things i eat.  My typical resupply is 3-4 days.  I actually eat so much i do not have enough room for more than 4 days food.  The picture is of a 3 day resupply

Breakfast:
Pop-tarts
Honey buns
Oatmeal
Example meal: 4 packets of oatmeal, a packet of pop-tarts, and another packet pop tarts or honey bun

Lunch:
Always 2-3 tortilla wraps with something in it, examples follow
Pb&j
One tuna packet per tortilla(if i have mayonnaise i add that to).
Summer sausage, pepperoni, and sharp cheddar cheese (mayonnaise also)
Another thing i am going to try is a mix of hummus, spinach, smoked turkey, pepperoni,  peppers, and anything else that sounds good

Dinner:
2 packets ramen
Pasta side

Snacks:
Granola bars (nature valley are my favorite)
M&M's
Werthers caramel candies
gum
NO protein bars (ex: cliff bars) they are disgusting.  After eating a bunch in Maine because i figured i would need the protein i want to puke if i see one

I am going to be changing again by eliminating my stove and cook pot which i am sending home with my sister.  This will save me weight and space.  I will have to eliminate oatmeal and noodles but thats fine.  I am going to be switching to gourmet style wraps using tortillas and anything i can think of.  Like that veggie, hummus, turkey wrap.

Just to clarify something i do not do hot chocolate, tea, or coffee.  This is a thru hike not a camping trip.  This may sound like a shock also: i have not made a single camp fire this whole trip.  After hiking all day the amount of miles i do the last thing on my mind is gathering wood and tending a fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment