Friday, October 31, 2014

The weather forecast: 14 inches of snow

That's right folks, 14 inches of snow predicted between the night of 10/31 and the afternoon of 11/1 on the ridge in the smokies.  I don't know about what you are thinking right as you are reading this but that's a lot of snow.  Did somebody tell mother nature its only November 1st!  I mean what the heck this is gonna be a dad gum blizzard on the trail.  Can you imagine temperatures at night with that wind in the smokies?  Thats gonna be some insane conditions and i will be praying for all hikers trapped in the smokies during this storm.  I got to give a big shout out to Vicky and Steve for taking me in y'all are the ultimate trail Angels.  Here is another figure for you: the low on Sunday for Cherokee, NC is 18 degrees.  If you ever want to know the low for 5000+ ft on the trail drop that temperature 10 degrees from the nearest town.  That means single digit lows for the trail in the smokies.  In the smoky mountains the AT traverses about 70 miles of ridge line all from approximately 5000 ft to 6600 ft.  To be honest i do not have the equipment to tackle hiking or sleeping in the conditions that will be present for a few days. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the smokey mountains, but only saw the snow when it was Jan. The mountains are beautiful and Bryson City, Robbinsville area are my favorite and I visit every year. Please stay warm. You have seen 3 seasons in one journey! Lisa L.

    ReplyDelete