I guess i never mentioned it but i have been straddling TN/NC since roan mtn. Hot springs is a cool little town that the trail goes through. I stopped at the outfitter where they let SOBO's use a computer to print out their smokies permit. I ate at the smoky mtn diner a huge dinner. I also stopped by the P.O. to get my 2nd mail magic from the Larkin family. The last one they sent was in Fort Montgomery, NY. I appreciate their support greatly and everybody that writes comments on the letters inside the package. I did 20 miles today. I promised myself from before i started that the one town i would stay in was hot springs so i am staying at the hostel at laughing heart lodge. I am the only one at the hostel yet again. Its nice not having a ton of other smelly thru hikers running around but it sure is a total different experience doing a sobo thru compared to a nobo thru. There just is nobody ever around for the most part going south. Its almost absolute isolation unless you are hiking with somebody. One thing i would like to mention is that TN/NC is very tough. The climbs are very steep and long with no switchbacks south of Erwin. My black shirt is covered in soooo much sweat. I haven't done laundry since kincora hostel. Everybody south of there charges 5+ dollars just to do laundry which i dont want to pay. Also, since i brought up the "mental challenge" of an AT thru hike everybody i talk to on the phone has been worried about me. I said in that post that this is normal and unless you absolutely love living in the woods and hiking with a pack every day this is probably tough for you. Yes, for me it is tough getting up every day and doing this because i dont have to be here i am choosing to put my body through this. Yes, it has been mentally tough for majority of the hike and no i am not going to quit. I never have been remotely close to the point of convincing myself that it i am going to quit. I have hiked 1911.4 miles... 273.9 left to go. That 2000 mile mark will be a sweet moment.
Mailed your mail magic Mon by Priority
ReplyDeleteMail. The postman wrapped it and everything for me. Nice Man
Granny
Look forward to congratulating you on completing your journey. Stay warm buddy!
ReplyDelete