It rained all last night and a little this morning while we hiked but other than that it was a nice day to hike. Minnow chose a good section to come hike with me because the terrain is going to be the easiest i have seen in all of Virginia. We made it to the first shelter 7.5 miles into the day at 11:45 am. Minnow felt like she could keep going 14.5 more miles to the next shelter and the terrain was going to be literally flat for a long time so we pushed on. One thing any hiker does is roll our ankles a lot every day. The AT isn't a paved path and i had warned Minnow of this beforehand because she has had ankle problems in the past. Well she rolled her ankles and fell a few times today and was really hurting. I helped her out as long as i could (about 14 miles) by frontloading her pack. It felt miserable and eventually i had to stop carrying it because old injuries like shin splints were hurting so bad. It was slow going with Minnows ankles hurting but we finally made it to the shelter at 8:45 pm. I actually have cell service and data at the shelter so i will keep working on blog posts as well as uploading pictures. I am aware of this nasty cold front coming and i dont think we can make it to the next shelter before it hits tomorrow with how bad minnow is hurting. We will double zero at this shelter and hike out Thursday the 16th. I brought a little extra food in case of emergency like this so we should be fine for now. From where I am at now i have 599.5 miles left.
No comments:
Post a Comment