(Minnow) didn't really do much today. Much nicer hike today then it was yesterday for my feet. Sharkbaits definitely the best older fishbro a minnow could ask for. Tomorrow will be my last day on the trail and ill be back on saturday. My ankles and feet make even the easiest parts painful every step. Have i mentioned beef jerky tastes amazing?
Anyway I'm glad to have met all these thru hikers.
Dear Appalachian trail section....ILL BE BACK....eventually...
(Sharkbait) Today was a beautiful day with highs in the 60s and partly cloudy. Last night that big front moved through and it dumped more rain. We did 9 miles today and finished at 2:45 pm. Tomorrow we will go 9 miles to a place called Fort Bastian which is a hiker hostel run by a guy called trubrit. From there on Friday morning Minnow is going to be getting a ride to where her car is parked. She is not in the proper physical condition to be able to hike through the terrain that is upcoming. On a scale of 1-10 the terrain we have been on over the past couple days is a 1-2 but will get harder after trubrit's place. It doesn't help her shoes dont fit right so she is getting foot pain, rubbing, and blisters. Her ankles are a lot better after the zero but still hurt. So unfortunately her hike is ending short but i have and will continue to enjoy the time we spend together. She is tough and i think she is learning first hand at how hard life on the trail is. She has expressed interest before in one day doing an AT thru hike also. I am not sure if that interest still exists after this trip but i believe its definitely been an eye opener. A cool thing we saw today was a cow horn buck. I was stopped waiting for Minnow to catch up when i spotted the deer about 50 yds away in the woods. When minnow got there i whispered to her and pointed out where it was. I did some buck grunts and it came over about 50ft away and was looking at me like "what the heck that human is making a grunt like me?" I could have shot that thing with my bow it was so close. Us deer hunters use the grunt to stop a moving deer in its tracks so you can shoot a still target rather than a moving one. Well i have gotten a lot of practice while on the trail because of how many deer there are so im pretty good at it now i must say. I have been asked to do a post on what i have learned or will take away from the trail. I am not doing that post until the end so you will have to keep following this.
Sorry about Minnow. Guess we should have told her to get hiking boots. I think she did well to go this far. Proud of her. Granny
ReplyDeleteTrevor, you may have lots of color up there, but we have some beautiful weather this week as well. Cooler temps, sunny skies and wonderful breezes...did I mention Snook?
ReplyDeleteDad