This post is to discuss the level of mental difficulty an AT thru hike is. There is a common saying that a thru hike is 80 percent mental and 20 percent physical. I also once heard there are 2 kinds of people that successfully complete an AT thru hike: those that love living in the woods and could do it for the rest of their lives and those that are stubborn. I am stubborn like most others. It is not easy waking up each day and hiking day in and day out for 2,185 miles. It doesn't matter if the terrain is easy or hard each day is tough. In my case usually 2 out of 3 days are low moral days. I just put my head down and do my best to make some miles. When moral is low it is also hard to hike fast. On good days 3.5mph is typical; on bad days (most days) just trying to do 3 mph is tough. I also will admit it is tough to enjoy the trail on low moral days. Like today i was in Mt. Rogers and Grayson highlands areas which are phenomenally beautiful but i had a hard time taking it all in. I just kept moving pretty much. There aren't many things that can cure low moral either. Its like this pretty much all the time since the very beginning. The constant battering and bruising on the body, wet feet (my nemesis), sweaty days, cold nights, loneliness, sleepless nights, fatigue, etc are all things that wear on us thru hikers. To be honest I am just plain flat out tired. Ive been tired since Connecticut that i can remember. The trail has worn me out and I am ready to be done although i have less than 500 miles still to go. Non thru hikers often ask me if i ever want to quit and the answer to that is every second i want to quit. I feel that is a very generic response among us "stubborn" thru hikers. But i wont quit. I will keep putting one foot in front of the other as long as i am able until i reach Springer Mountain in Georgia. I once had a dream and made a goal to thru hike the AT. No matter what gets me down I am going to do my best to accomplish that goal.
Here is an example of a really, really tough day i had mentally recently. This was the day i got to woods hole hostel and Pearisburg. There was a reroute in the AT this year and the guidebook didn't have anything to say other than mileages and locations of things between two points will be different than what is listed. Well 1 mile into it there was a woods road and no blazes for SOBO's to know which way to go. Great.... So i looked at the back of a tree and saw a NOBO blaze so i knew which way to go. Meanwhile there were no blazes at all for SOBO's and no indication of where the trail got off the road. I walked for 2 miles before i figured i must have missed it, i turned around, and i finally found where it was when i saw the NOBO blazes. The trail was hidden out of sight for SOBO's along the road but marked impeccably for NOBO's. Ohh yeah the roadwalk was only supposed to be for 0.2 miles i guesstimate... not 2 miles. I broke down and cried my eyes out but continued to hike for about 45 mins to be honest. I was so sick and tired of the trail and all the B.S. out here like the trail not being blazed for a southbounder that I put up with every day. If you ask yourself though what in life is not full of B.S.? Its usually really petty just like this situation and normally wouldn't bother me but i have noticed that things affect you more out here. The AT is a rollercoaster of emotions and truly is a journey not just a 2,185 mile hike. There is something about this trail. One thing you have to think about is I am not getting paid or compensated or directly benefiting at the moment in any way to put up with this stuff i.am actually spending money to be out here. Its stupid stuff like this that after being out here for so long makes me snap and I am only hanging on by a thread. Ohh well i got through it. Hopefully i return to normal after i am done with the AT because i dont like hanging on by a thread. I've come 1,701.0 miles so far and i have 484.3 to go. I guess i will have to keep putting my feet in front of each other one by one a little bit longer. Ohhh yeah here is my finish date: November 10th.
Thinking of you while you're holed up in VA and I'm in SLC Utah (Connie and I are working a 3day trip together). Shame my mail magic got lost or stolen (and too bad I didn't keep the tracking receipt). I'll give it another go sometime soon. I'm sure minnow enjoyed her short lived company with you and your stinky sleeping bag, lol. Too bad she couldn't go further but she did try.
ReplyDeleteGoogle ended my previous mssg. Back in 1977 I spent a summer at Ft. Knox for Reserve Officers Basic Training and due to very I'll fitting boots issued to me my feet were in horrible condition so I can relate a bit to your stories of blisters and such. Send some of that rain to us here in CA...man we need it badly! Keep the great stories coming! Ford
ReplyDeleteDear Trevor,
ReplyDeleteI know it is hard and you don't always see the positive in every step you take, but you are making a big difference in so many peoples lives. We are living your dream through you with your blog posts and pictures. We are so excited for you. You get to see nature change seasons before your eyes, you get to see mountaintops that I will never see. God has a plan and it is making you stronger through each step. You will be able to relate to all your patients for years to come with all their struggles they have everyday. I know you won't give up, you are too close. Life on earth is a gift and you learn to appreciate it in different ways as you grow and mature. Just like trail magic, it is an unexpected surprise that boost your spirits and that is why people do it! Love always, Lisa L.
Keep praying and God will get you through these last miles. You are getting so many graces and know that we are also praying for you to be well and save. Love you so much and know you can do this. You are on countdown, only 20 days left.
ReplyDeleteGranny
Lighter news. FSU and Nebr. won and sorry to say FL lost.
Trevor. I really enjoyed seeing you at the hostel and being a small part of your adventure. It is interesting to hear your struggle while your on the AT. You have always pushed yourself to the max at a 110%. And I guess that having 3months of battles it's taking it's toll. I think of George Washington and Valley Forge, having freezing cold weather, holes in their shoes and no food. I guess you will feel their pain. So are you making a list of your adventures for the future? I know you don't want to collect dust.... Love you and I guess we will see you very soon. We will have carpet soon:). Mom
ReplyDeleteWow...I love your candid thoughts about trail life Trevor, Your tales are an inspiring example to all who read your blog and a testimony to your character. Your experiences and perseverance have shown me that you will be able to navigate all the things that "life" brings all of us...good times and hard times, happy moments and incredibly hard moments. Philippians 4:13 says " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"...when you get beat down and have no strength of your own, ASK for and look to the strength of the Lord. He always shows up in the way we need it, if we ask and trust. I am proud of you son!
ReplyDeleteLove Dad
Gotta love your tenacity to keep going when it would be so much easier to get the heck out of there! Call it stubborn, driven, high achiever, but whatever name you give it, quitter is not in your makeup! You've achieved so much in this short life of yours, much of which is unattainable to most! This is just one more accomplishment that should always remind you how tough you are, mentally, physically, and emotionally! When you get home and sleep for a week, eat home cooked meals and get back to normal life, I know you're going to be as proud of yourself as we are of you! Keep aiming high! I'm confident your next journey will include dry feet, hot meals and a soft bed!! We look forward to seeing you! Aunt Sherri
ReplyDelete