Yesterday evening the 4 of us staying in the shelter all agreed we were gonna sleep in because of how cold it was going to be and the wind didn't help. I was the first up though and didn't leave the shelter until 9am which is really late. Everyone else was just getting out of there sleeping bags when i left. I was in no rush though because i was only doing 18 miles to Kincora Hostel which is a donation based hostel run by Bob Peoples. He is famous on the AT for building switchbacks which i love switchbacks. The suggested donation is 5 bucks and you get laundry, a shower, and bunk. I rode with some section hikers that just finished up there hike and had a vehicle so we went to town for dinner (i went to McDonalds and subway). I bought a 12" sub and a burger plus sweet tea and milkshake for dinner and 3 more burgers to pack out for lunch tomorrow. There is a wood burning heater so the hostel is nice and toasty compared to a shelter if i had kept going. I saw a beautiful waterfall today called Laurel Falls. Its not advised to go swimming around the falls because there is a whirlpool and people have died there. I layed in my bed this evening and went through all my pictures i have taken while out here. I can name almost every view or mountain like i was just there. Thru hiking the AT may be a very big challenge mentally and the toughest thing i have ever done but has been worth it and i have enjoyed being able to live in the woods for so long. The statistic i said in "The mental challenge" blog post about 2 out of 3 days are low moral days was wrong. Yes, there have been a lot of bad days but its not 2/3 days except probably in NY/CT. One thing i have learned about the cold is i dont like living in it 24/7 . Its one thing waking up in a heated house with a hot pot of coffee and being able to carry lots of layers. Its another living in an open aired shelter or tent and having to unzip my sleeping bag to freezing cold air, then pack my stuff up, then hike and i cant carry a ton of layers because clothes are heavy and they take up space in a pack. That initial getting up and going is very tough in the cold.
Any trouble with frozen shoe laces yet?
ReplyDelete